Re: [RFC] Restrict the untrusted devices, to bind to only a set of "whitelisted" drivers

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:59 AM Jean-Philippe Brucker
<jean-philippe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 01:47:27PM +0200, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 04:07:10PM -0700, Rajat Jain wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Currently, the PCI subsystem marks the PCI devices as "untrusted", if
> > > the firmware asks it to:
> > >
> > > 617654aae50e ("PCI / ACPI: Identify untrusted PCI devices")
> > > 9cb30a71acd4 ("PCI: OF: Support "external-facing" property")
> > >
> > > An "untrusted" device indicates a (likely external facing) device that
> > > may be malicious, and can trigger DMA attacks on the system. It may
> > > also try to exploit any vulnerabilities exposed by the driver, that
> > > may allow it to read/write unintended addresses in the host (e.g. if
> > > DMA buffers for the device, share memory pages with other driver data
> > > structures or code etc).
> > >
> > > High Level proposal
> > > ===============
> > > Currently, the "untrusted" device property is used as a hint to enable
> > > IOMMU restrictions (on Intel), disable ATS (on ARM) etc. We'd like to
> > > go a step further, and allow the administrator to build a list of
> > > whitelisted drivers for these "untrusted" devices.
> >
> > How about letting the administrator whitelist devices that are trusted,
> > rather than whitelisting drivers?
>
> Uh, I completely missed the point. Your proposal is about preventing from
> binding any untrusted devices to non-whitelisted drivers. Please disregard
> my reply :)

Yes, my proposal is about ensuring untrusted devices can be bound to
only trusted drivers (if the administrator so desires).

Thanks for the links though - I think they may be additionally useful
for what we're trying to do.

Thanks,

Rajat