Re: Problem with PCIe enumeration of Google/Coral TPU Edge module on Linux

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your help.
Replies follow below.

Kind Regards,
Luís

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:51 AM Nicholas Johnson
<nicholas.johnson-opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> So the problem only occurs with the Coral Edge TPU device, so there is a
> possibility that it is not a problem with the platform, or something
> caused by the combination of the TPU and platform. Is it possible to put
> the TPU into an X86 system with the same kernel version(s) to add more
> evidence to this theory? If it works on X86 then we can focus on the
> differences between X86 and ARM.

I've tested two Coral TPUs on two x86_64 platforms and the BARs seem
to be assigned, however the driver fails to load, during probe and the
system is unable to shutdown cleanly, but I think that is a driver
issue when setting up sysfs entries. I can blacklist gasket/apex, if
it helps in some way, or try an older kernel.
Dmesg log for one of the x86_64 system is here:
https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/FHhHNN6XTF/
lspci -vvv for the same x86_64 system is here:
https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/xbSNWFQ9TS/

> Also, please revert c13704f5685d "PCI: Avoid double hpmemsize MMIO
> window assignment" or try with Linux v5.4 which does not have this
> commit, just to rule out the possibility of it causing issues. This
> patch helps me and also solved the problem of one other person using an
> ARM computer who came to us regarding a problem. However, it could also
> adversely affect unknown use cases - it is impossible to completely rule
> out, due to the nature of how drivers/pci/setup-bus.c is written.

On armhf with 5.4.14 the problem remains, BAR 0 and BAR 2 are not
assigned: https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/9H2qqqMNJN/
I've also tried kernel 4.20.11 and the problem also exists.
I've got JTAG on this system with OpenOCD. I believe I can debug the
kernel, if needed.