Re: system generating an NMI due to 80696f991424d ("PCI: pciehp: Tolerate Presence Detect hardwired to zero")

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 01:15:00PM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.01.2020, 06:35 +0100 schrieb Lukas Wunner:
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:26:26AM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > > I got a bug report about some systems generating an NMI and
> > > subsequently crashing bisected down to 80696f991424d.
> > > Apparently these systems do not react well to __pciehp_enable_slot
> > > while no card is present. Restoring the check to __pciehp_enable_slot()
> > > removed in 80696f991424d makes the current kernels work.
> >
> > Recent PCIe versions allow turning off in-band presence detect, in which
> > case the DLLLA bit can be set even though Presence Detect is not set.
> > You may be dealing with one of those systems but without full dmesg
> > and lspci output this is just an educated guess.
> >
> > A series was submitted by Dell last year to support disabling in-band
> > presence detect, but it hasn't been merged yet by Bjorn:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pci/20191025190047.38130-1-stuart.w.hayes@xxxxxxxxx/
> >
> > You may want to try if that series helps.
>
> it has been tested and it does the job. May I ask whether you could
> ack it or propose necessary changes, so that we can proceed?

Thanks for testing, so I assume that's a

Tested-by: Oliver Neukum <oneukum@xxxxxxxx>

The series has already been reviewed by Mika Westerberg, additionally
Andy Shevchenko has provided a Reviewed-by for each individual patch.
Nevertheless I've just also reviewed it once more and provided my
opinion in a separate e-mail.

The patches are not forgotten, they're still marked "New" in patchwork:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/cover/11212969/

So I assume Bjorn will get to them after the merge window closes
(and after taking a breather).

Thanks,

Lukas