Re: About pci_ioremap_bar null dereference

Cc'ed to Linux PCI ML in case somebody has better knowledge about.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 1:54 PM P J P <ppandit@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Hello Andy, Navid
>
>   -> https://git.kernel.org/linus/ea5ab2e422de0ef0fc476fe40f0829abe72684cd
>
> I was trying to understand this NULL dereference. IIUC, pci_ioremap_bar()
> returning NULL indicates insufficient memory OR if the pci device is
> configured to use I/O port address, instead of memory mapped region.
>
> I was wondering if(or how) it is reproducible for unprivileged user? Do you
> happen to have a reproducer for it?

It's very unlikely to see IRL such problem. Theoretically  it may
happen if the system in question has a LOT of devices connected to PCI
and suddenly there is no window for a resource left (usually 4k) under
PCI Root Bridge. Other than that I can't imagine what can go wrong.
Ah, of course the virtual space starvation is another possibility.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko