Re: watchdog: how to enable?

On 11/15/19 7:03 PM, Muni Sekhar wrote:
[ ... ]

Another possibility, of course, might be to enable a hardware watchdog
in your system (assuming it supports one). I personally would not trust
the NMI watchdog because to detect a system hang, after all, there are
situations where even NMIs no longer work.

From dmesg , Is it possible to know whether my system supports
hardware watchdog or not?
I assume that my system supports the hardware watchdog , then how to
enable the hardware watchdog to debug the system freeze issues?

Hardware watchdog support really depends on the board type. Most PC
mainboards support a watchdog in the Super-IO chip, but on some it is
not wired correctly. On embedded boards it is often built into the SoC.
The easiest way to see if you have a watchdog would be to check for the
existence of /dev/watchdog. However, on a PC that would most likely
not be there because the necessary module is not auto-loaded.
If you tell us your board type, or better the Super-IO chip on the board,
we might be able to help.

Note though that this won't help to debug the problem. A hardware
watchdog resets the system. It helps to recover, but it is not intended
to help with debugging.

Guenter