Re: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd OX16PCI954 - weird dmesg

[+cc linux-pci]

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 05:04:54PM +0100, Carlo Pisani wrote:

> kernel v4.11 is 7.5Mbyte and doesn't boot from the TFTboot option
> offered by the firmware, it claims "out of range", which makes no
> sense
>
> out of range in what? too big? bad initialized? who knows ....
>
> > Is the v4.11 kernel image bigger than the v4.4 kernel that boots?
>
> everything bigger than 7Mbyte seems to be bad for the firmware.

You should be able to test this by adding built-in drivers to your
v4.4 kernel so it becomes larger than 7 MB.  If the kernel size is the
problem, a large v4.4 kernel should fail the same way the v4.11 kernel
does.

> anyway, I post here to hear if someone is on the RB532A (Mikrotik),
> should I also open a ticket to OpenWrt?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to open an OpenWrt ticket because maybe more
people there have experience with the RB532A.  But if the problem is
simply that the RB532A has broken Rhine devices that don't correctly
support PCI MMIO access, the only fix is to work around it by using
I/O port access instead.

Your matrix at [1] seems to show that the only reliable "stable for
48h" combination is the one with PCI MMIO access disabled.

If there's some way to identify that broken device or the platform,
e.g., RB532A, somebody could write a quirk to automatically disable
PCI MMIO in the driver.  But the comment in the driver already
mentions that, so I guess it's not trivial to identify those cases.

[1] http://www.downthebunker.com/reloaded/space/viewtopic.php?f=79&p=2755