Re: pciutils: decoding extended capabilities with variable size based on lane count

Hello!

> I was working on providing a patch for decoding some of the 4.0 extended
> capabilities, but hit a snag.  The Lane Margining and the 16GT/S Physical
> Layer Extended Capabilities only have valid data for the number of lanes (up
> to 32) currently configured. It would be nice to know the width during
> decode without having to re-read and decode, but instead grab it from the
> device structure.

Generally, I like this approach. It however introduces a dependency between
parsing of different capabilities – so far, we did not assume any concrete
order. I think that assuming that extended caps are parsed after all
non-extended ones is OK, but please document it somewhere. Perhaps you can
add a comment to the newly added struct fields explaining when are these set
and when they are used.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mareš                        <mj@xxxxxx>   http://mj.ucw.cz/
United Computer Wizards, Prague, Czech Republic, Europe, Earth, Universe