Re: Multitude of resource assignment functions

On Thu, 2019-06-27 at 10:35 -0600, Logan Gunthorpe wrote:
> My worry would be if the firmware depends on any of those PCI resources
> for any of it's calls. For example, laptop firmware often has specific
> code for screen blanking/dimming when the special buttons are pressed.
> If it implements this by communicating with a PCI device then the kernel
> will break things by reassigning all the addresses.
>
> However, having a kernel parameter to ignore the firmware choices might
> be a good way for us to start testing whether this is a problem or not
> on some systems

As I consolidate that accross archs I can add such a parameter... I
haven't quite folded x86 in yet, but I'm hoping I'll be able to do so
soon. I plan to move some of those x86 specific kernel parameters into
generic code while doing so. I can add this one.

Cheers,
Ben.