Linux pci card forcing a remove and restore

I have a possibly simple or may be more involved question:

I have a PCI device that the hardware boots up and enumerates in GEN2 mode.

Once the linux device driver is loaded we can download new firmware to the card that may reinitialize the PCIe PHY in GEN3 mode and resizing the BARs.

We can have the device re-enumerated via user space:

echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove

echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

But, is it possible to do this inside the kernel device driver after it has downloaded the new firmware instead?

Before I start trying to play with pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device followed by pci_rescan_bus I would like to know if what I'm trying to do is a correct approach?

Thanks,

 Scott