Re: pci_error_handlers for pci_host_bridge ?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 05:27:12PM +0530, Subrahmanya Lingappa wrote:
> Bjorn,
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 7:29 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm still not quite getting your point.  Let's try a concrete example.
> > Assume this topology (this is what you described above):
> >
> >   00:00.0 Root Port to [bus 01]
> >   01:00.0 Endpoint
> >
> > Then we have this situation:
> >
> >   - AER driver binds to Root Port 00:00.0
> >   - Endpoint 01:00.0 detects an error and sends ERR_* message upstream
> >   - Root Port 00:00.0 receives ERR_* message
> >   - Root Port 00:00.0 generates AER interrupt
> >   - AER driver handles the interrupt and does a secondary bus reset on
> >     Root Port 00:00.0.  This resets the Endpoint (01:00.0) but not the
> >     Root Port itself.
> >
> > It sounds like you need to do an RC register restore sequence at this
> > point, i.e., something like mobiveil_host_init()?  That sounds like a
> > hardware defect.  Doing a secondary bus reset via the Root Port's
> > bridge control register should have no effect on the RC itself.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> Yes, in this situation PCI config registers are fine, but due to a bug
> RC, config space registers will get reset
> in the SW we need to call the mobiveil_host_init() again to recover in
> case of directly connected EP to the Root-port.
>
> We do get an local interrupt when this problem occurs, so this can be
> handled in Driver's ISR;
> or is there a better way to handle it ?

I don't see a better way to handle it.

If the PCI core were doing something wrong here, e.g., missing some
restore required by hardware that follows the spec, we would of course
want a nice way to fix it in the core.

But this sounds like hardware that does not follow the spec, so the
workaround should be in the hardware-specific driver.

Note that this may be an issue if/when you want to support ACPI with
this hardware, because in that case we use the generic ACPI host
bridge driver (drivers/acpi/pci_root.c) and there is less opportunity
for device-specific workarounds like this.

Bjorn