Re: pci=earlydump on ARM

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 03:10:39PM -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> > If that doesn't work or you'd rather brute-force it, you could try
> > doing something like "pci=earlydump".  This is currently only
> > implemented for x86, so it would be some work to implement something
> > similar for arm64.  It would be a nice upstream addition if you *did*
> > implement it.
> >
> > In the earlydump output I would be looking for clues about the power
> > state of 03:00.0 to try to figure out if the bootloader left it powered
> > off or if Linux is doing something to turn it off.
> >

> Is it really possible to implement a generic version of this?
>
> PCI on ARM64 is not really unified. There are several host bridge drivers
> for different types of access.
>
> If we limit the functionality to ACPI, the answer is still maybe if we
> can pass the base address of the MMCONFIG region.
>
> All products use a different MMCONFIG region.

On x86, early dump is implemented off to the side, outside the PCI
core, and it takes advantage of arch-specific knowledge about ways to
perform config accesses.

But I could imagine something in the pci_scan_device() area, where we
have the normal config accessors but we haven't yet touched the
device.  I think we could get 99% of the early dump utility in a
completely generic way.

There might be a few hand-crafted arch-specific quirks that touch PCI
devices even before that point, but those should be pretty rare.

Bjorn