Re: [RFC 0/3] Adding config get/set to devlink

Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:53:56PM CEST, roopa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10/12/2017 12:06 PM, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:43:59 -0700

>>> That is an interesting angle for including this in devlink.
>>>
>>> I'm not so sure what to do about this.
>>>
>>> One suggestion is that devlink is used for getting ethtool stats for
>>> objects lacking netdev representor's, and a new genetlink family is
>>> used for netdev based ethtool.
>>
>> Right, I was also thinking along those lines that we we would have a new
>> generic netlink family for ethtool to support ethtool over netlink.
>
>new api is fine by me. The reason for suggesting devlink was because
>some of the devlink
>port_* ops are close to ethtool ops that can operate on a port/netdev.
>eg split_port could be a netdev operation
>unless you want to split before the netdev is created.

Let me correct you. The split is always devlink_port operation. In some
cases however when there is a mapping between devlink_port and netdev,
userspace part could translate netdev->devlink_port.

>There are some ops in devlink which are global hw parameters and not
>specific to a port, those fit perfectly with
>devlinks original goal.

There are 2 handles from the very beginning:
1) devlink - asic-wide handle
2) devlink_port - port handle