Re: Possible regression between 4.9 and 4.13

On 31.08.2017 12:39, Mason wrote:
On 30/08/2017 11:06, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:55:37AM +0200, Mason wrote:

On 30/08/2017 08:02, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

To get back to the original issue here, the hardware seems to have died,
the driver stops talking to it, and all is good.  The "regression" here
is that we now properly can determine that the hardware is crap.

Before 4.12, when I unplugged my USB3 Flash drive, Linux would
detect a few "Uncorrected Non-Fatal errors" via AER, but it was
still possible to plug the drive back in.

Since 4.12, once I unplug the drive, the whole USB3 card is marked
as dead (all 4 ports), and I can no longer plug anything in (not even
the USB2 drive that didn't have any issues, IIRC).

It seems a bit premature to "mark as dead" something that remains
functional, doesn't it?

I agree, but if the device sends all ones, it's a good indication it is
really dead, right?  Or something is wrong with it.

I wouldn't call it dead if I can plug the drive back in, and have
it working... But I agree that something fishy is happening...

Disclaimer, there are many variables in this setup, and I've only
tested a small fraction of the problem space: only one system,
only one USB3 board, only one USB3 Flash drive.

Did you ever happen to narrow this down to a single git commit using
'git bisect'?  I can't remember what happened in the beginning of this
thread...

Mathias pointed out d9f11ba9f107aa335091ab8d7ba5eea714e46e8b

That patch only changes how xhci reacts to reading 0xffffffff.
we used to just returned -ENODEV, but after patch we assume
hardware is broken or removed.

-Mathias