Re: PCI: Revert "PCI: Add runtime PM support for PCIe ports"

On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 12:45:35PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I've a W541 sitting in my home office at well. I will take it through
> some gpu runtime suspend/resume testing. Which kernel introduces the
> problem I'm looking for ?
>
> I believe mine has the old BIOS / EFI which is less troublesome so I
> will first see if I can reproduce the problem with that and then upgrade
> to see if that introduces the problem.
>
> Peter IIRC you said that after upgrading the firmware I need a new enough
> kernel to be able to even boot, from which kernel onwards will the machine
> boot with the new firmware ?

That fix is currently commit b2a91a35 in the "next" branch of the repo
at git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/efi/efi .  I'm not sure
what the timeframe for it landing in linus' tree is, but it doesn't look
like it has yet.

> Also is it possible to downgrade the EFI again ? ...

IIRC that model has a switch in the firmware to enable downgrading.  I
have not tried it.  Also, there's some chance the firmware you're
starting from isn't available.

--
        Peter