Hot Plug: How to determine a device has been removed

Hi,
    We have been working on a PCIe appliance.

There is a software layer (management layer) that uses pci_dev
structure of underlying devices on downstream port.

The port supports Hot Plug.

We have a test that a device with one or more functions is
removed(surprise removal) from system.
The linux kernel (2.6.38.1) detects presence detect interrupt and
unconfigures the device/functions.

What is the best way to detect from management layer that the
underlying devices are gone and should not be access?

We have used udev to detect device removal and addition, but with
multi-function device we are getting into an issue that while
processing removal event of 1st function, 2nd event comes
asynchronously for 2nd function. If management driver is in the middle
of accessing the config space of 2nd function, system crashes. We need
to check somehow the underlying device is gone.

Any direction/pointer will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kallol