Re: [RFC] ARM/ARM64 PCI_PROBE_ONLY platforms

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:13:04AM -0500, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> On 1/20/2016 11:04 AM, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> >
> > We want to get rid of PCI_PROBE_ONLY on ARM/ARM64:
>
> For platforms that does not have UEFI BIOS, it makes sense to remove the probe only
> option as the firmware is not doing anything.

I don't understand this statement.  It sounds like you mean "non-UEFI
BIOS firmware doesn't assign PCI BARs", but that's not true, so you
must mean something else.

> For server like arm64 platforms, the behavior should be identical to
> x86 world.

> The UEFI BIOS sets up the resources, kernel uses the resources.

Is there actually a requirement that a UEFI BIOS assign resources to
PCI BARs?   I know that historically, x86 BIOS has set up most or all
PCI BARs.  But I thought there was something in UEFI that relaxed
that, so it would only have to program BARs for the boot and console
devices it actually needed.  But I can't find a spec reference either
way.

Bjorn