About PCIe PRBS loopback

Hi,

We have a PCIe Serdes that is capable of generating some PRBS loopback test. Our HW team is using this test to validate the PCIe interfaces on our boards. To trigger this test, it requires us to configure the Serdes by writing to its registers through an internal MDIO interface.

Does it make any sense to have a standalone kernel driver for this type of test? Or test code like this should really belong to a bootloader like UEFI or something similar?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Ray