Re: IMX6 PCIe - use LVDS2 clock as input instead of LVDS1 as an ouput

Hi Tim,

Am Montag, den 21.12.2015, 13:05 -0800 schrieb Tim Harvey:
> Lucas / Shawn / Sean,
>
> Do any of you know what should be done in order to use the LVDS2
> clock
> as an 'input' for IMX6 PCIe?
>
> Due to the fact that Freescale's internal clock does not pass Gen2
> jitter tests, we have designed an IMX6 based board that follows
> Freescale's recommendation to use an external Gen2 compliant clockgen
> running to one of the LVDS clocks and now need to configure the
> kernel
> to use this as an input. I had this run to LVDS2 because LVDS1 is
> configured by the kernel as a clock output for all IMX6 (see
> 74b8031307c5d33d36742c26dd0921991bd5a255).
>
> My understanding is that if nothing is changed the host controller
> would use its internal reference clock, and the PCIe socket would use
> the external clkgen and all would be well and fine for Gen1 because
> they don't need to have synchronized clocks, but if Gen2 is needed we
> must change the clock routing such that LVDS2 is an input and that it
> is routed to the PCIe host controller reference clock.
>
> I know that I can use IMX6QDL_CLK_LVDS2_IN instead of
> IMX6QDL_CLK_LVDS1_GATE in the clocks property of the PCIe node in the
> device-tree to configure LVDS2 as an input instead of LVDS1 as an
> output, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the clock tree
> and how to handle this dynamically at runtime.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What you would need to do is the following, I think:

1. Overwrite the PCIe node clocks property in your board as described
above.

2. Set up the right connections in the clock tree by using the
"assigned-clocks" property attached to the PCIe node. This might need
some additions to the imx6 clock controller so you can attach the
external clockgen (abstracted as fixed-clock) as a parent to
the IMX6QDL_CLK_LVDS2_IN.

Regards,
Lucas