Re: What is meant by chained interrupt handlers, when to use them.

Valmiki <valmikibow <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm seeing that chained_irq_enter/exit functions are being used in
cained
> irq handlers.
>
> These chained_irq_enter/exit functions are doing ack, mask, unmask
> functions from irq chip.
> Already when an interrupt handler is being executed that IRQ line will
be
> disabled by linux, so what is the purpose of masking/unmasking them.
>
> What is term chained referring to, does it mean reading interrupt
status
> register and check for bit set one after and another handle that
> corresponding IRQ, so in a chain fashion.

When we use irq_set_chained_handler the irq line will not be disabled,
unlike request_irq ?
If that is the case calling chained_irq_enter which does mask/unmask to
only current irq line, but i see in some pcie root port drivers after
calling this they are handling all the available interrupts but only one
is masked ? Is this method correct ?