Re: Multiple MSIs on ARM imx6q

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the quick response. See inline:

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Lucas Stach <l.stach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.09.2015, 12:55 +0000 schrieb Frank Jenner:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to develop a driver for a PCIe device which utilizes multiple
>> MSIs (up to the full 32 allowable), but I cannot seem to enable more than
>> one when calling pci_enable_msi_range(). The host platform uses a Freescale
>> i.MX 6Quad ARM SoC and is running the "linux-fslc_4.1" kernel (from the
>> Yocto project).
>>
>> With some investigation, I believe that this limitation is stemming from
>> arch_setup_msi_irqs() in drivers/pci/msi.c where there is an early return
>> with the comment "If an architecture wants to support multiple MSI, it needs
>> to override arch_setup_msi_irqs()". There appears to be no such override for
>> ARM.
>>
>> My first question then, is:
>>
>> 1.) Are multiple MSIs simply not yet supported on ARM as of 4.1?
>>
> Right, multivector MSI is not supported for any ARM host bridge on any
> released kernel version.
>
>> Both MSIs and ARM have been around for a while, and I doubt I'm the only
>> person who ever wanted to use multiple MSIs on ARM, so I can't help but
>> think maybe I'm overlooking something. I ran into a similar question
>> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2010-May/016858.html), but
>> as that was 5+ years ago, I'm wondering whether the situation has since changed.
>>
> Multivector MSI is a rarely used feature on endpoints. Most devices
> either do single vector MSI or full blown MSI-X. It's mostly FPGA
> devices preferring the simplicity of multivector MSI over MSI-X.

Ah, yes. This was the case for us. We have an FPGA that does not have
MSI-X functionality built into the hard PCIe core, so regular MSIs
were used for simplicity.

> An implementation for the i.MX6 is already sitting in Bjorns PCI
> maintainer tree and is expected to be merged in kernel 4.4.

I took a look at Bjorn's pci-4.4/host-designware branch and saw your
commits. It looks like the patches I'm using apply most of the same
changes. While they do enable me to get multiple MSIs back from
pci_enable_msi_range() and I get the correct IRQs back to my ISR, I
still run into the issue below when attempting to get the full 32
vectors.

>> Unfortunately, even if I work around the arch_setup_msi_irqs() limitation
>> (which I've done by trying out patches 448141 and 448142 from
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-pci/list/) and break through to
>> the assign_irq() function in drivers/pci/host/pcie-designware.c, I still
>> cannot allocate all 32 MSIs that my device reports.
>>
>> It appears that one of the bits in the msi_irq_in_use bitmap is already set
>> prior to my driver requesting any MSIs, meaning there aren't enough free
>> slots for the 32 MSIs I am requesting, and causing the function to fail with
>> -ENOSPC. Based on the output from /proc/interrupts, I believe that the PCIe
>> PME service driver is consuming one of the 32 available MSI slots. Thus, my
>> second question is:
>>
>> 2.) Is it possible to leverage all 32 MSIs while still using PCIe PME?
>>
>> I tried using the kernel command line argument pcie_pme=nomsi, but that
>> appeared to disable all MSIs for the device rather than just making the PME
>> service driver use some other mechanism.
>>
> It should be possible to make PME use a legacy INT, but I would have to
> look this up in the code.

Could you please elaborate on this? I'm a little confused why PME
occupies one of the MSI slots in the first place. Also, as I thought a
device could only use either MSIs or legacy INTs (but not both), is it
even possible for PME to use legacy INTs while my driver uses MSIs?

> Another alternative is to extend the i.MX6 driver. It should be able to
> provide up to 256 MSI interrupt vectors. But I have no way to test that,
> so if you could help with testing I can certainly come up with a patch
> for that.

Where does the 256 come from?

I appreciate the help, and I would be happy to test out a patch for
you with the caveat that I'm using a custom board so I can only test
any changes against our specific device.

Thanks!