Re: Failure to HotPlug if devices not present at boot - no memory space

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You might have a host bridge driver that knows how to set up the
> windows.  Your dmesg logs mention altera_hps2fpga_bridge, which
> doesn't seem to be in the upstream kernel, so I don't know what it
> does.

Sorry.  Forgot to tell you it is based on the driver available at:
http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/Projects/PCIeRootPortWithMSI

I figured/hoped it was a general PCIe lack of understanding on
my part and not something specifically related to the PCIe root complex
driver.

> In the other log ("08:00.0 not present at boot"), we actually *do*
> enumerate an 08:00.0 device:
>
>   pci 0000:08:00.0: [1d00:0000] type 00 class 0x00001d
>   pci 0000:08:00.0: reg 0x30: [mem 0x00001800-0x00001fff pref]

Yea.  Not sure what that is since there is no device physically present.
PLX must be reserving the spot or something.

> I don't know what this device is (lspci says "non-VGA unclassified
> device") and it only requests 2K of space for an option ROM.  And the
> log doesn't include the part where you hot-add the real device --
> that's the interesting information should be.

I added the dmesg for enumeration after hot-adding the device
to the bugzilla entry.  Don't want to omit the interesting
part.

> I see that you already boot with "pcie=hpmemsize=256M", but that
> doesn't help in this case because it's only used for hotplug bridges,
> and 02:0f.0 (the Downstream Port leading to bus 08) is not marked as
> hotplug-capable:
>
>   02:0f.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8619
>     Capabilities: [68] Express (v2) Downstream Port (Slot+), MSI 00
>       SltCap:   AttnBtn- PwrCtrl- MRL- AttnInd- PwrInd- HotPlug- Surprise-
>
> I think if you could get the PCI_EXP_SLTCAP_HPC bit set for 02:0f.0,
> and you booted with "pcie=hpmemsize=256M", it would likely work.  It's
> possible it could be made to work even without that, but in general
> it's hard to reserve the right amount of space for a bridge if you
> don't know what might be plugged in later.

This makes sense to me.  I think I have enough information now to
try to massage the PLX port into being a hotplug port and maybe
everything will work.

Thanks for yor help Bjorn!  I have something to try now.

Barry