Re: PCIe support for ARM64

Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas <at> google.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:43 AM, ravikiran gummaluri
> <rgummal <at> xilinx.com> wrote:
> > HI
> >
> > I am developing PCIe root port driver for Xilinx device. We have used
> > following patch for ARM64 bit support
> > "https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/3/764";. The link explains it as temporary
> > patch and main line will be updated soon with those changes. We have not
> > seen the changes till now. Can you let us know when we can expect the
> > changes in mainline? We are planning to push our drivers to mainline.
>
> There is PCI support for ARM64 in mainline:
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?
id=d1e6dc91b532

> There is also a Xilinx driver already:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/
pci/host/pcie-xilinx.c

> I don't know if your device is similar to the AXI device, but it would
> be good if you can share or modify that driver instead of adding a new
> one.
>
> As with several other drivers, the current pcie-xilinx.c uses
> pci_common_init_dev(), so it only works on ARM (not ARM64).  This is a
> known issue, and people are working on making these drivers less
> arch-specific.
>
> Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn. pcie-xilinx.c is AXI device. Now we are developing for
different device using pcie-xilinx.c as reference. When we trying to
compile our new driver with latest kernel we are getting compilation
problems for struct hw_pci and struct pci_sys_data for ARM64. These
structures are not defined in ARM64. The following patch has the structure
definitions "https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/3/764";. We have used this patch
and able complete our development. Now for up streaming it we need this
patch in main line. From your discursion we understood that some work is
going on ARCH independent API and structure. When can we expect them in
mainline?