Detecting thunderbolt ports

Hi.

I'm interested in detecting if thunderbolt is present on a running
system. I need this as a part of certification testing so that the
test operator can be asked to do some thunderbolt-specific tasks.

I talked to some of the maintainers and from what I've learned there
are two thunderbolt drivers, one for apple and one for everything
else. The one for apple has the nice property of being able to
statically detect that the hardware is present. The one for everything
else, which I'm more interested in as I'm not certifying apple
hardware, apparently does not and there is no way to detect that a
machine has a thunderbolt port unless something is physically plugged
into that port.

So I'd like to ask more broadly, is the statement above accurate? Can
the presence of a thunderbolt port be detected from a running system
reliably?

Best regards
ZK