help with setpci "no devices at"

Hi Everyone

Thanks again to Bjorn for helping me in the thread "updating firmware with setpci"

I have started a new thread as it's more specific than the previous one and might be more valuable this way in the archives.

I replaced a PCI chip on one card I am trying to copy the good PCI configuration space settings from another card, as-is they are very different and the repaired card is failing.

I found a perfect little awk script here to generate setpci commands from lspci -xxx :

https://gist.github.com/jlopez-git/4594728

I ended up with setpci complaining about missing a width. I found this thread:
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/45240

It looks like older versions of the tool did not require widths to be specified. The awk script may be a bit dated.

I changed XX= to XX.b=
setpci -sD 04:01.0 00.b=813010e8

based on:
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix_commands/setpci.htm
which gave this example:
setpci -s 13:8.4 40.b=50:d0,04:0c,ff

but now I have another error:
setpci: Warning: No devices selected for "04:01.0".
setpci: Invalid width "0".

lspci shows the device at:
04:01.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Device a101:81ff

The example showed the b near the register address but the "invalid width 0" error has me wondering if it's supposed to go somewhere else or I should be using a different width flag.

Could someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks for reading-Patrick