Re: Frustrating PCI x ACPI x APIC(?) interaction/bug

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Micah Dombrowski <mpdwibble@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Not sure what list this is most appropriate to…guess I’ll start with -pci.  The short, short version: Strange DMA(?) bug only occurs with a specific card x laptop combination, is maybe fixed by passing “acpi=off noapic” to the kernel, but this also slows the system down to an unusable crawl.
>
> This is under kernels 3.11.0 (Mint 16 stock) and 3.13.2 (custom compiled, have tried fiddling with/disabling various clock settings, acpi/power-saving stuff, etc. to no avail).  Will attach cpuinfo, lspci -v, and lshw output.

Hi Micah,

Thanks for the problem report.  If I understand correctly, the 4020
works fine when connected to a desktop PC, but not when connected to
the Lenovo T530 laptop.

The easiest way to debug this is probably to make things as similar as
possible and look for the differences.  So if you can run the same
kernel in both scenarios (newer is better, of course), and collect
complete dmesg logs and "lspci -vv" output, that would be a good
start.  The lspci log you attached is only "lspci -v" output, which
doesn't include detailed configuration information like bus speeds and
link widths.

I would ignore the "acpi=off noapic" options for now.  They must be
relevant somehow, but let's look at the basics first.

I use http://bugzilla.kernel.org as a place to collect info like this,
so if you want, you can open a report there and attach the logs.  Or
I'd be glad to do that for you if you just include them in email.

Bjorn