Re: could the [x86] Kconfig content for PCI be cleaned up at all?

On Sat, 17 May 2014, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >   digging through the current PCI code and Kconfig files and it
> > seems like some of that could be made simpler, but i'm willing to
> > be convinced otherwise.
>
> I'm sure it could be cleaned up, and it would be great if you did!
>
> I don't know the reason why all the arches source
> drivers/pci/pcie/Kconfig directly; it seems like that should be done
> from drivers/pci/Kconfig.

  that's what i thought, but i'll look more closely to see if there's
some subtlety there.

  at the very least, i can submit a patch for both:

  * .../pci/Kconfig
  * .../pci/pcie/Kconfig

that removes all the extraneous dependencies on PCI and PCIEPORTBUS,
respectively, and just wraps the files in a single "if" condition,
unless someone has a reason why that wouldn't work.  you know, along
the lines of acpi/Kconfig and many others:

  menuconfig ACPI
        bool "ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support"
        ... snip ...

  if ACPI
        ... big snip, entire rest of file ...
  endif # ACPI