Re: about mpss with pcie_bus_perf

On 2014/1/15 8:34, Jon Mason wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [+cc Jon, Yijing]
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> looks like we have some problem with MPSS.
>>>
>>> +-02.2-[10-1f]----00.0-[11-13]--+-02.0-[12]--+-00.0
>>>                            |    |            \-00.1
>>>                            |    \-03.0-[13]----00.0
>>>
>>> kernel boot with pce_bus_perf:
>>> 00:02.2: cap/ctl: 256/256
>>> 10:00.0: cap/ctl: 256/256
>>> 11:02.0: cap/ctl: 256/256
>>> 12:00.0: cap/ctl: 128/128
>>> 12:00.1: cap/ctl: 128/128
>>>
>>> 11:03.0: cap/ctl: 256/256
>>> 13:00.0: cap/ctl: 256/256
>>>
>>> Should we set MPSS to 128?
>>
>> Please propose a patch and/or open a bug report.  I don't do enough
>> with MPS to make the problem and its solution immediately obvious to
>> me.
>
> Not a lot of verbiage in here, but I believe this is the expected
> behavior for the "pcie_bus_perf" kernel boot parm.  With it, each pci
> device sets its MPS to the max of the parent

Yes, it's the expected behavior for the "pcie_bus_per".
Pcie_write_mrrs() will additionally set mrrs to largest supported value for safe.

>>From the commit log:
>
>     - A more optimal way is possible, if it falls within a couple of
>       constraints:
>     * The top-level host bridge will never generate packets larger than the
>       smallest TLP (or if it can be controlled independently from its MPS at
>       least)
>     * The device will never generate packets larger than MPS (which can be
>       configured via MRRS)
>     * No support of direct PCI-E <-> PCI-E transfers between devices without
>       some additional code to specifically deal with that case
>
>     Then we can use an approach that basically ignores downstream requests
>     and focuses exclusively on upstream requests. In that case, all we need

Hi Jon, I do not quite understand why we can ignores downstream here , as a model like Yinghai's pcie topo:

mps 256           mps 256               mps 256
root port ------Switch port(UP) -------Switch port(DP) A   --------PCIe Endpoint Device ( mps = 128)
                               |                          <-------Read Request to upstream is safe because MRRS is set to properly value.
			       |	                  <-------TLP payload won't excess (mps=128) as a transmitter, so this is also safe.
 			       |			  -------->Downstream TLP like read completion and some other TLP write to PCIe EP device
                               |				   My question is here, how can we ensure Downstream is safe?

                               |-------Switch port(DP) B

Sorry to disturb you, I would be appreciate if you can me any advice. Thanks!

--
Thanks!
Yijing