Re: Reconfigure the Intel 5520 I/O hub

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Gianluca Oglietti <gianogli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've a Supermicro server with a X8DTU-6TF+ matherboard. (You can find the
> system block diagram at http://goo.gl/ibWhb).
> It is a NUMA system with 2 processors and only one Intel 5520 I/O hub.
> In the last weeks I've made some studies about the optimization of the
> TCP/IP packets realtime analysis but I've encountered a problem.
> All the PCIe interfaces, where are used the NICs, are interconnected,
> through the Intel 5520 I/O hub, only to the NUMA node 0:

> Is there a way to reconfigure the Intel 5520 I/O hub (via software,
> without a new BIOS) to connect one NIC to NUMA node 0 and the other one
> to NUMA node 1?

There's no standard way to do this via the PCI core, because it's too
system-specific.

You might be able to learn something by reading the 5520 spec:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/5520-5500-chipset-ioh-datasheet.html

It sounds like your system is similar to Figure 1-1 in that doc, which
looks pretty symmetric.  I don't know anything about the 5520
internals, or why there might be preferential routing to NUMA node 0
over node 1.

Have you measured a difference in NIC performance between NUMA node 0
and 1?  Maybe the I/O connections actually are symmetric, and the BIOS
just uses the same distance tables, i.e., whatever determines the
local_cpulist contents, for both a single-node and a two-node system?

Bjorn