Re: 3.8.2: stale pci device info for a previously inserted express card

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > Is this repeatable?  It would be more meaningful to see a kmemleak
> > report for immediately after the USB-3 card is removed.  The leak may
> > be related to these two lines in the log (they occurred only once):
> >
> > [ 8768.825242] xhci_hcd 0000:11:00.0: Abort command ring failed
> > [ 8768.825244] xhci_hcd 0000:11:00.0: HC died; cleaning up
> >
> > Perhaps cleaning up after a dead controller doesn't deallocate all that
> > it should.  Quite possibly this is connected with the fact that on this
> > attempt, you removed the USB-3 card while the WD disk drive was plugged
> > into it.
>
> I have a note to myself that the xHCI driver leaks memory on an endpoint
> stall, but I can't remember exactly where.  It's possible that the
> device stalled, and the host died before we could clean it up.  It's
> also possible that the memory leak is somewhere else entirely.

I don't think this memory leak has anything to do with endpoints.
Martin's kmemleak report indicated that the memory was originally
allocated near the start of usb_create_shared_hcd(), which means it was
a whole usb_hcd structure.

Alan Stern