PCI rescan

 Hi-

Right now I am using 64-bit Red Hat Fedora 16. The kernel version is 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64.

I'm interested in an API that will achieve from within C-language code compiled using gcc what can be accomplished from the shell with the following invocation:

echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/<device designator>/remove
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

I find that at the shell level the above works great for me but is slow. I need it to work perhaps an order of magnitude faster for what I'm attempting.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. If possible it would be great if you could give me a short code snippet and whichever libraries are involved with some indication as to where I'd need to get such libraries. If I need to upgrade my Linux that's a perfectly okay thing to suggest.

regards
Pete Zievers