Re: Unreliable USB3 with NEC uPD720200 and Delock Cardreader

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Ulrich Eckhardt <usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 23.10.2012 01:40, schrieb Sarah Sharp:
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 06:03:24PM +0200, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>
>>> I have tested it with Kernel 3.6.2. The USB3 port is the one built
>>> in the Mainboard M4A87DT EVO.
>>
>> Did a previous kernel version work?
>
> Yes, I tried the Kernel shipped with OpenSUSE (3.4.11) several 3.5 and all
> available 3.6 kernel versions.

I assume you mean that every kernel you tried failed?  If some
kernel(s) did work, what is the newest working version and the oldest
broken version?

> I attach the complete dmesg logs and the lspci -vv output as requested by
> Bjorn for the situations when the controller does not work after startup
> (extension notworking), when the controller is working (extension OK), and
> after stopping (extension stop).

In the "notworking" logs, my guess is that the xHCI device is being
powered off.  The "notworking" lspci shows this:

  00:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RD790 PCI
to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port F) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
                LnkCap: Port #247, Speed 5GT/s, Width x2, ASPM L0s L1,
Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
                LnkSta: Speed unknown, Width x1, TrErr- Train-
SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt+ ABWMgmt+
  04:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host
Controller (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
        !!! Unknown header type 7f
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

The bridge's "DLActive-" means that the downstream link leading to the
xHCI device is not active.  The "rev ff", "prog-if ff", and "header
type 7f" suggest that we read all 0xff's from the xHCI device, which
is what we get if the device doesn't respond.

The xHCI device must have been powered up and working originally,
because we enumerated it and bound the xhci_hcd driver to it.  I don't
have any ideas about why it would be powered off.

Rafael, Alan, is there any way we can disable power management or
enable related debug messages?

Bjorn