Re: PCI resource allocation problem on Sun Ultra 10

> > There are 2 different onboard grpahics "cards" on U5/U10 mainboard, PGX
> > that is ATI Mach 64 with 2M SGRAM and PGX24 that has 4M SGRAM. I have
> > the latter. And these do not seem to need this reservation.
>
> Any VGA capable device can silently decode the VGA region.
>
> It is unconditionally reserved on x86 and other platforms as well.
>
> > Maybe Sun does not support legacy VGA cards in PCI slots (only
> > PCI-assigned areas)?
>
> It doesn't matter if the video card is "PCI assigned", if the chip is
> put into VGA mode (which both MACH64 and PGX24 fully support) it will
> start responding to accesses to the VGA region.

OK, I did some tests. Removed Video ROM reservation and put different
VGA cards into slots 2 and 3 (2 PC VGA cards in many combinations, 1 PC
and 1 Sun, 2 different Sun F-code ROM cards: mach64 and radeon). What
happens is that tg3 BARs change if there is a VGA on bus, like this:

1fc00400000-1fc0040000f : ffb dac
1fc00600000-1fc00600983 : ffb fbc
1ff00000000-1ffffffffff : /pci@1f,0
  1ff00002000-1ff00002fff : aic7xxx
  1ff000a0000-1ff000bffff : Video RAM area
  1ff000f0000-1ff000fffff : System ROM
  1ff01000000-1ff01ffffff : atyfb
  1ff02040000-1ff0204ffff : tg3
  1ffc0000000-1ffdfffffff : IOMMU
  1ffe0000000-1ffe000701f : sunhme
  1ffe1000000-1ffe1ffffff : atyfb
  1fff1000000-1fff1001fff : eeprom
  1fff1200000-1fff120000f : cs4231
  1fff13062f8-1fff13062ff : su
  1fff13083f8-1fff13083ff : su
  1fff1400000-1fff140003f : sab
  1fff1400040-1fff140007f : sab
  1fff1702000-1fff170200f : cs4231_pdma
  1fff1704000-1fff170400f : cs4231_cdma
  1fff1724000-1fff1724003 : power
  1fff1726000-1fff1726003 : auxio

So OBP seems to know what it is doing. On U10. I can also test on E220R,
E250, E450, E3500, V240, Blade 100. I suspect anything newer has not
gotten worse in this sense...

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@xxxxxxxx)