Re: New commands to configure IOV features

On 07/17/2012 01:29 PM, Don Dutile wrote:

WRT SRIOV-nic devices, the thinking goes that protocol-level
parameters associated with VFs should use protocol-specific interfaces,
e.g., ethtool, ip link set, etc. for Ethernet VFs.
Thus, the various protocol control functions/tools should
be used to control VF parameters, as one would for a physical device
of that protocol/class.

It seems to me that the mere act of creating one or more VFs is something generic, applicable to all devices that are capable of it. The details of configuring those VFs can then be handled by protocol-specific interfaces.

I'm not too worried about the exact mechanism of doing it, as long as it's ultimately scriptable--that is, if it's a C API then it would be appreciated if there was a standard tool to call that implements it. From that perspective a sysfs-based interface is ideal since it is directly scriptable.

Chris