Re: legacy PCI device behind a bridge not getting a valid IRQ on imx host controller

On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 12:58 PM Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2024 at 12:37:42PM -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
>
> > I have the hardware in hand now as well as the out-of-tree driver
> > that's being used. I can say there is nothing wrong here with legacy
> > PCI interrupt mapping, if I write a skeleton driver that uses
> > pci_resister_driver(struct pci_driver) its probe is called with an
> > interrupt and request_irq on that interrupt succeeds just fine.
> >
> > The issue here is with the vendor's out-of-tree driver which instead
> > is using pci_get_device() to scan the bus which returns a struct
> > pci_dev * that doesn't have an irq assigned (like what is described
> > in
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.5/PCI/pci.html#how-to-find-pci-devices-manually).
> > When using pci_get_device() when/how does pci_assign_irq() get
> > called to assign the irq to the device?
>
> Hmmm.  pci_get_device() is strongly discouraged because it subverts
> the driver model (it skips the usual driver probe/claim model so it
> allows multiple drivers to operate the device simultaneously which can
> obviously cause conflicts), and it doesn't play well with hotplug
> (hotplug events automatically cause driver .probe() methods to be
> called, but users of pci_get_device() have to roll their own way of
> doing this).
>
> So I'm not aware of a documented/supported way to set up the INTx
> interrupts in the pci_get_device() case.

Hi Bjorn,

Makes sense to me. Perhaps some changes to Documentation/PCI/pci.rst
could explain this.

Thanks for the help here, glad to find there is nothing broken here. I
think there could have been some confusion by the user here because
they were used to x86 assigning irq's without using
pci_resister_driver() but they were also using a kernel param of
pci=routeirq which looks like its an x86 only temporary workaround
that may have made this work on that architecture.

Best Regards,

Tim