Re: [REGRESSION] Keystone PCI driver probing and SerDes PLL timeout

On 22/01/24 11:22, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
> +Siddharth
>
> Hi Diogo,
>
> On 1/12/2024 5:16 PM, Diogo Ivo wrote:

>>> A "regression" for a commit that was in 5.13, i.e. almost 2 years ago,
>>> is a bit tough, and not something I would consider really a "regression"
>>> as it is core code that everyone runs.  Given you point at scheduler
>>> changes also fixing the issue, this seems like a hint as to what is
>>> wrong with your driver/platform, but is not the root cause of it and
>>> needs to be resolved.  Please look at fixing it in your drivers?  Are
>>> they all in Linus's tree?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> greg k-h
>> Hello,
>>
>> I see the point that this code has been living in the kernel for a
>> long time now and that it becomes more difficult to justify it as
>> a regression; I reported it as such based on the supposition that
>> the current fix is not the proper one and that technically this
>> support was broken between the identified commits.
>>
>> If this situation is incompatible with a regression report then it
>> can be dropped as one and we keep it is as a bug report for which
>> we are looking for input from the community.
>>
>> I agree that this needs to be fixed in the driver since all other
>> drivers are working fine with e611f8cd8717, and yes, all of the
>> drivers in question are in mainline, where we performed the bissection.
>
> Looks like Siddharth from TI fixed a similar issue reported by you here.
> https://lore.kernel.org/r/20230927041845.1222080-1-s-vadapalli@xxxxxx

Kishon,

Thank you for looping me in.

Diogo,

The issue you are referring to is identical to the one fixed in the patch shared
above by Kishon. I had also bisected the culprit to commit e611f8cd8717 which
doesn't have anything to do with PCIe/Serdes in particular. It only seems to
expose the underlying race condition which has always existed. The fix has been
merged and is now a part of mainline Linux:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/c12ca110c613a81cb0f0099019c839d078cd0f38

Additionally, you might run into an issue once you fix the above which happens
to be a 45 second delay when no Endpoint Device is connected to the PCIe
connector. I have posted a patch for fixing that issue as well:
https://lore.kernel.org/r/20231019081330.2975470-1-s-vadapalli@xxxxxx/

--
Regards,
Siddharth.