Re: [RFC 3/9] PCI/portdrv: create platform devices for child OF nodes

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 10:44 PM Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Bartosz,
>
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 5:16 PM Bartosz Golaszewski <brgl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, it was actually a no-op due to CONFIG_PCI_DYNAMIC_OF_NODES not
> > being set. But this is only available if CONFIG_OF_DYNAMIC is enabled
> > which requires OF_UNITTEST (!).
>
> Huh? Config PCI_DYNAMIC_OF_NODES does select OF_DYNAMIC.

Indeed, I got something wrong.

But in any case: we *don't* need dynamic OF nodes as we don't create
new ones. We use the ones that already exist. This is logically a
wrong place to add this.

Lukas, Terry: am I getting this right - is the port driver supposed to
go away at some point? Because I'm not sure I understand what the
problem is here. To me it seems that when we create a real device for
the PCIe port, then it's only normal to populate its child devices
from the port driver.

Bartosz