Re: vfio memlock question

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 10:23:13AM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:06:39 -0800
> Keith Busch <kbusch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I was examining an issue where a user process utilizing vfio is hitting
> > the RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limit during a ioctl(VFIO_IOMMU_MAP_DMA) call. The
> > amount of memory, though, should have been well below the memlock limit.
> >
> > The test maps the same address range to multiple devices. Each time the
> > same address range is mapped to another device, the lock count is
> > increasing, creating a multiplier on the memory lock accounting, which
> > was unexpected to me.
> >
> > Another strange thing, the /proc/PID/status shows VmLck is indeed
> > increasing toward the limit, but /proc/PID/smaps shows that nothing has
> > been locked.
> >
> > The mlock() syscall doesn't doubly account for previously locked ranges
> > when asked to lock them again, so I was initially expecting the same
> > behavior with vfio since they subscribe to the same limit.
> >
> > So a few initial questions:
> >
> > Is there a reason vfio is doubly accounting for the locked pages for
> > each device they're mapped to?
> >
> > Is the discrepency on how much memory is locked depending on which
> > source I consult expected?
>
> Locked page accounting is at the vfio container level and those
> containers are unaware of other containers owned by the same process,
> so unfortunately this is expected.  IOMMUFD resolves this by having
> multiple IO address spaces within the same iommufd context.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like I need to better familiarize myself
with iommufd. :)

> I don't know the reason smaps is not showing what you expect or if it
> should.  Thanks,

It was just unexpected, but not hugely concerning right now. Not sure if
anyone cares, but I think a process could exceed the ulimit by locking
different ranges through vfio and mlock since their accounting is done
differently.