Re: My AlderLake Dell (XPS-9320) needs these patches to get full standby/low-power modes

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 05:18:12PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> I think this would be better as a quirk instead of a driver probe
> method because I don't think ASPM really has anything to do with the
> driver probe.  We do most ASPM configuration at enumeration (before
> driver probe), so now we have this exception that we delay it until
> probe time if the policy is POLICY_POWERSAVE or
> POLICY_POWER_SUPERSAVE.

I think doing this as a quirk would probably work fine, but from an
aesthetic point of view it feels awkward - this is knowledge that the
drivers have, and so fundamentally placing that knowledge in the core
PCI code feels like the wrong place to put it.