Re: [REGRESSION] resume with a Thunderbolt dock broke with commit e8b908146d44 "PCI/PM: Increase wait time after resume"

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 03:43:29PM +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
>    On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM Mika Westerberg
>    <[1]mika.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>    > I would also try to change all the BIOS settings back to defaults, see
>    > that it works (it is probably in "user" security level then), then
>    > switch back to "secure" (only change this one option) and try if it now
>    > works. It could be that some setting just did not get commited properly.
>
>    Hello, I have some interesting findings.
>    I reset the BIOS ("load BIOS defaults"), however that doesn't reset the TB
>    security level option - whatever is set is kept. So I can't really find
>    out what the default value is and whether I changed it. However, to my
>    surprise, the resume was suddenly fast even with the Secure Connect
>    security level. So I went through options one by one and finally
>    discovered that the "Wake by Thunderbolt 3" option makes the difference.
>    It has the following description:
>    "Enable/Disable Wake Feature with Thunderbolt 3 ports. If Enabled, the
>    battery life during low power state may become shorter."
>    It is enabled by default, I had it disabled before. When I enable it, I
>    have a 5 sec resume even with Secure Connect TB security level. The dmesg
>    for such a resume is here:
>    [2]https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1990815

Okay that now looks like what is expected. The firmware re-connects the
tunnels and the resume can continue.

I actually don't know what that option does either but I would expect
that it leaves the PME and small power enabled for the port so that
probably allows the firmware to do this even in "secure" mode or so.

>    I'm sorry I haven't spotted and tested such an obviously named option
>    earlier. My understanding was that this option either wakes up my laptop
>    when I connect the cable (tested now, it doesn't appear to do so), or that
>    it wakes it up when I move/click my dock-connected mouse (tested, doesn't
>    appear to do so). So originally I wanted this disabled (and I had no
>    kernel issues with it disabled, prior to e8b908146d44), but it seems I
>    misunderstood what it does. And I'm still unsure what exactly it's
>    supposed to do and why it should kill my battery life in the process,
>    according to its description.
>    Hopefully this helps to bring more light into this?
>    However, I also discovered that even though Wake by TB3 + Secure Connect
>    gives me a fast resume in a normal case, I still see a 60+ sec resume
>    delay when I disconnect and then reconnect the TB cable while the laptop
>    is suspended (which is a frequent use case for me). That doesn't happen
>    with the User Authorization level (regardless of Wake by TB value). So I'm
>    staying with User Authorization for the moment.

If you apply the patch from here:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pci/pci.git/commit/?h=pm&id=6786c2941fe1788035f99c98c932672138b3fbc5

Does the problem go away with the disconnect case too (and so that you
have "secure" enabled)?