Re: [REGRESSION] resume with a Thunderbolt dock broke with commit e8b908146d44 "PCI/PM: Increase wait time after resume"

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 08:16:02AM +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 12:55:30PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > >
> > > PCIe TLPs are encapsulated into Thunderbolt packets and transmitted
> > > alongside DisplayPort and other data over the same physical link.
> > >
> > > For this to work, PCIe tunnels need to be set up between the Thunderbolt
> > > host controller and attached devices.  Once a tunnel is established,
> > > the PCIe link magically goes up and TLPs can be transmitted.
> > >
> > > There are two ways to establish those tunnels:
> > >
> > > 1/ By a firmware in the Thunderbolt host controller.
> > >    (firmware or "internal" connection manager, drivers/thunderbolt/icm.c)
> > >
> > > 2/ Natively by the kernel.
> > >    (software connection manager)
> > >
> > > I'm assuming that the laptop in question exclusively uses the firmware
> > > connection manager, hence the kernel is reliant on that firmware to
> > > establish tunnels and can't really do anything if it fails to do so.
> >
> > Thanks for the background; that improves my meager understanding a
> > lot.
> >
> > Since this seems to be a firmware issue, it does sound like this
> > laptop uses a firmware connection manager.  But there still seems to
> > be some kernel connection because pre-e8b908146d44, the link came up
> > in <5 seconds, and after the minor e8b908146d44 change, it takes >60
> > seconds.
>
> In both cases (with or without) the commit what happens is that after
> resume is finished the firmware connection manager notices the
> connection, announces it to the Thunderbolt driver that exposes it to
> the userspace where boltd re-authorizes the device. This brings up the
> PCIe tunnel again and things get working.
>
> (What is expected to happen is that during the resume the firmware
>  connection manager re-connects the PCIe tunnel.)
>
> This took previously the ~5s before resume is complete so that the above
> steps can happen where as after the commit it got delayed more up to the
> arbitrary ~60s because we started to use that with the commit
> e8b908146d44 (PCIE_RESET_READY_POLL_MS).

Why does the kernel delay affect the timing of when the firmware
connection manager notices the connection?  It seems like Linux waits
for the timeout, then Linux does something that kicks the firmware
connection manager.  That's why I asked about this sequence:

  [  118.985530] pcieport 0000:05:01.0: Data Link Layer Link Active not set in 1000 msec
  [  190.090902] pcieport 0000:05:01.0: pciehp: Slot(1): Card not present
  [  191.754347] thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: 1: DROM version: 1
  [  191.762638] thunderbolt 0-1: new device found, vendor=0x108 device=0x1630
  [  191.762641] thunderbolt 0-1: Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock
  [  191.943506] pcieport 0000:05:01.0: pciehp: Slot(1): Card present

where we wait for the timeout, decide the device is gone, remove
everything, and then the thunderbolt driver does something, and we
notice the device is magically back.

> I would also try to change all the BIOS settings back to defaults, see
> that it works (it is probably in "user" security level then), then
> switch back to "secure" (only change this one option) and try if it now
> works. It could be that some setting just did not get commited properly.

If this might lead to fixing a Linux defect, I'm all for this kind of
experimentation.  But if it only leads to understanding a firmware
defect better or figuring out better advice to users, I'm not, because
I don't want to address this with a release note.

Bjorn