Re: [RFC] Proposal of QEMU PCI Endpoint test environment

Hi Kishon, all,

On 26/09/23 15:17, Shunsuke Mie wrote:

> On 2023/09/21 18:11, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
>> +Vaishnav
>>
>> Hi Shunsuke,
>>
>> On 8/18/2023 7:16 PM, Shunsuke Mie wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We are proposing to add a new test syste to Linux for PCIe Endpoint. That
>>> can be run on QEMU without real hardware. At present, partially we have
>>> confirmed that pci-epf-test is working, but it is not yet complete.
>>> However, we would appreciate your comments on the architecture design.
>>>
>>> # Background
>>> The background is as follows.
>>>
>>> PCI Endpoint function driver is implemented using the PCIe Endpoint
>>> framework, but it requires physical boards for testing, and it is difficult
>>> to test sufficiently. In order to find bugs and hardware-dependent
>>> implementations early, continuous testing is required. Since it is
>>> difficult to automate tests that require hardware, this RFC proposes a
>>> virtual environment for testing PCI endpoint function drivers.
>>
>> This would be quite useful and thank you for attempting it! I would like to
>> compare other mechanisms available in-addition to QEMU before going with the
>> QEMU approach.
>
> I got it. I'll make a table to compare some methods that includes greybus to
> realize this emulation environment.
>

> Best,
>
> Shunsuke
>
>> Though I don't understand this fully, Looking at
>> https://osseu2023.sched.com/event/1OGk8/emulating-devices-in-linux-using-greybus-subsystem-vaishnav-mohandas-achath-texas-instruments, Vaishnav seems to solve the same problem using greybus for multiple type s of devices.
>>
>> Vaishnav, we'd wait for your OSS presentation but do you have any initial
>> thoughts on how greybus could be used to test PCIe endpoint drivers?

Apologies for the delay, I don't think greybus can be used for PCIe testing as
there is no greybus equivalent for PCIe[1], it can only be used for relatively
simpler devices today, I guess roadtest(UML based)[2] could be an alternative in
this case.

1 -
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/staging/greybus
2 - https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YjN1ksNGujV611Ka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/