Re: Make Bjorn's life easier (and grease the path of your patch)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 05:14:01PM +0200, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 05:37:01PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> I'm not sure where to insert the Closes tag, checkpatch wants it immediately
> after the Reported-by, but since Closes is like Link, I'd assume that you'd
> prefer it to precede the Reported-by.

I'd put it where checkpatch wants it.

> I've pointed other folks to your message so that they know which guidelines
> to observe when submitting to linux-pci.  I'd like to encourage you to
> update it and (if you like) add it to the tree as a maintainer profile
> (see Documentation/maintainer/maintainer-entry-profile.rst) so that it's
> even easier to find.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.  I consider that periodically but I
always hate the fact that we have a dozen different places for
contributors to look for different people's preferences, and I feel
like my preferences are mostly just generic or obvious guidance, so I
hesitate to add another place.

E.g., should we really have to write down that "if the whole file fits
in 80 columns, and your patch adds 100-character lines, you're doing
something wrong"?

But I guess that's just my hubris, and my preferences are not obvious
to everybody else, and having them buried in an old email is not a
real solution, so I should probably just give up and make a maintainer
profile ;)

Bjorn