Re: Old Asus doesn't seem to support MSI

Thanks for digging into this!

> It's also conceivable that MSI used to work in older kernels, but we
> broke something by v5.10.  Do you know whether any old kernels ever
> worked without "pci=nomsi”?

I remember trying older linux distributions (Debian oldstable, kernel 4.19) and
some older Ubuntu(s) but I don’t remember any of them working. Plus, the
Ubuntu wiki pages and various post replies to “… Linux is not working on my
x73sl laptop” are always suggesting the pci=nomsi option, so I guess the problem
exists since a while.

> What exactly is the symptom you see without "pci=nomsi”?

To be able to boot at first I had to disable the “Wireless adapter" from the BIOS.
And after that, the system was booting but when the kernel was trying to switch
to a “nice framebuffer” the display was completely mixed-up. I disabled kernel
modesetting and tried to start X manually and I got:

  (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The NVIDIA kernel module does not appear to be receiving
  (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): interrupts generated by the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1:0:0.
  (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Please see Chapter 8: Common Problems in the README for additional information.

Thus I used the nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 and the display worked fine.

Then I re-enabled the wireless adapter (which is a mini PCI-E) card and the system was
freezing during the boot again, (after systemd started). At this point I’m not really able to
collect the logs as the device seems to be completely frozen. After some digging on the
internet I found the pci=nomsi option that solved the issue, and seem related to the
option I had to use for nouveau.

I’ll try to collect the logs when the device is freezing, maybe we’ll have a better
understanding of the situation.

Damien