Re: Old Asus doesn't seem to support MSI

On Sat, Jun 03, 2023 at 05:52:14PM +0200, Damien Dejean wrote:
> Hi linux-pci,
>
> I recently installed Debian with a 5.10 kernel on an old Asus X73SL
> laptop. To be able to boot and use it properly I needed to use
> pci=nomsi, it seems that neither the GeForce9300M or the atheros
> wifi card (both PCI-E) would work with MSI enabled.
>
> I’m suspecting now the chipset does not support MSI at all. I’d be
> happy to contribute the quirks to the kernel if it is the case.
> Could you give me some guidelines to verify this hypothesis ? Should
> I check the ACPI table to see if the information is available ? How
> can I check if MSI is supposed to be supported or not ?

Thanks a lot for the report!  Users should never have to use
"pci=nomsi", so it would be good if we can fix this.

Can you collect the complete dmesg log?  Also the output of
"sudo lspci -vv"?  There is a bit in ACPI that tells us if we
can't enable MSI, but we should mention that in the dmesg log
if it's set.

Bjorn