Re: Re: The MSI Driver Guide HOWTO

[I added back linux-pci so the discussion doesn't get broken up]

On Sat, Mar 11, 2023 at 08:48:35AM +0100, gael.seibert@xxxxxx wrote:
> > Envoyé: vendredi 10 mars 2023 À 23:25
> > De: "Bjorn Helgaas" <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxxxxx>
> > À: gael.seibert@xxxxxx
> > Cc: "Bjorn Helgaas" <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-pci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Objet: Re: The MSI Driver Guide HOWTO

> > > It will be possible that is a fan problem with a cpu temperature.
> > > (Probably)
> > > I attach a video to the boot.
> >
> > Thanks for this.  I should have asked at the very beginning whether
> > there are any older kernels that work correctly without "pci=nomsi".
> > If there is such an older kernel, we can try to figure out what change
> > broke it.  Otherwise, I'm running out of ideas.
>
> I could remove this olde kernel 4. I dont know why i'm keeping this.
> The matter, i was not be able access to a Debian display manager
> with the kernel 5. Since kernel 6, from bookworm repertory, GNOME
> get fine.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I guess you mean that v4.x Linux kernels
didn't need "pci=nomsi"?

> > > Output of #lspci --vv attached
> >
> > Thanks!  I was hoping something from lspci would connect with
> > ricoh_mmc_fixup_rl5c476(), where we get the "proprietary Ricoh MMC
> > controller" message, e.g., if that function looked at the MSI
> > Capability or something.  But 00:0d has four functions and none of
> > them has an MSI Capability.  And 00:0d.0 has nothing we know about at
> > the offsets the function uses:
> >
> >   00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832
> >     Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>
> Well, i Guess this 00:0d.0 FireWire is a link from bios CMOS memory
> adresse. Nothing Can be do without more informations from Ricoh Co
> Ltd R5C832 ?

I asked about this because when you boot with "pci=nomsi", your dmesg
log contains this:

  pci 0000:00:0d.0: proprietary Ricoh MMC controller disabled (via FireWire function)

This comes from ricoh_mmc_fixup_rl5c476(), and you *only* see it when
booting with "pci=nomsi".  So I was trying to figure out why
"pci=nomsi" would affect that function.  But I don't see anything that
relates them.

I'm trying to figure out what happens when you don't use "pci=nomsi".
Earlier you said the system doesn't boot completely.  But you *did*
manage to collect the journalctl log.  Do you mean you are able to log
in on the text console, but the graphical display manager doesn't
start?

Bjorn