Re: [External] : Re: sysfs interface to force power off

On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 09:12:44AM -0700, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 04:14:54PM -0500, James Puthukattukaran wrote:
> >
> > There is a path to disable the controller and that code ran but did
> > not help. I checked wit the nvme folks and Keith mentioned that there
> > might be an issue with the nvme queue management. Unfortunately, we
> > can't try newer kernels in the field. So, looking for a way to just
> > "shut off the device" when we have scenarios like this where we can't
> > untangle the mess.
>
> Well, I didn't request you try new kernels in the field. I asked if you
> could experiment with a newer one on a development machine to confirm if
> the bug was fixed by some of the significant changes in this path so
> that we could confirm a reason to port to stable. You're going to have
> to change your kernel to fix this observation, so it would be worth the
> effort to know if the changes being considered actually address the
> problem.

Current mainline still contains this problematic sequence:

  nvme_reset_work()
    nvme_wait_freeze()
      blk_mq_freeze_queue_wait()

So I'm inclined to believe that the issue still persists, but I agree
that validating that hypothesis with a contemporary kernel should be
the first step.

I think nvme_reset_work() is overly optimistic that resetting the drive
succeeded.  It just freezes and unfreezes the I/O queue without checking
for errors.

In particular, nvme_wait_freeze() should call the _timeout variant of
blk_mq_freeze_queue_wait() and cope with failure of freezing.

Thanks,

Lukas