Re: How to correctly define memory range of PCIe config space

Hi Pali,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 12:51:08AM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Together with Mauri we are working on extending pci-mvebu.c driver to
> support Orion PCIe controllers as these controllers are same as mvebu
> controller.
>
> There is just one big difference: Config space access on Orion is
> different. mvebu uses classic Intel CFC/CF8 registers for indirect
> config space access but Orion has direct memory mapped config space.
> So Orion DTS files need to have this memory range for config space and
> pci-mvebu.c driver have to read this range from DTS and properly map it.
>
> So my question is: How to properly define config space range in device
> tree file? In which device tree property and in which format? Please
> note that this memory range of config space is PCIe root port specific
> and it requires its own MBUS_ID() like memory range of PCIe MEM and PCIe
> IO mapping. Please look e.g. at armada-385.dtsi how are MBUS_ID() used:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-385.dtsi

On most of the platforms, the standard "reg" property is used to specify the
config space together with other device specific memory regions. For instance,
on the Qcom platforms based on Designware IP, we have below regions:

      reg = <0xfc520000 0x2000>,
            <0xff000000 0x1000>,
            <0xff001000 0x1000>,
            <0xff002000 0x2000>;
      reg-names = "parf", "dbi", "elbi", "config";

Where "parf" and "elbi" are Qcom controller specific regions, while "dbi" and
"config" (config space) are common to all Designware IPs.

These properties are documented in: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pci/qcom,pcie.yaml

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Mani

--