Re: PCI runtime PM issue on NEC xHCI host

On Thursday, November 03, 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> An no dmesg entries or anything. There does seem to be ACPI interrupts
> >> happening, although I do not know whether they really were related to
> >> the USB insertion event.
> >
> > If the number in /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe0D increases too at
> > the same time, then they are related.
>
> Nope. No change there.

Hmm.  Another candidate is gpe09 (according to the DSDT), but I wonder
if any of the /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe* files change when you're
seeing those ACPI interrupts.

> >> But it shows similar crazy "cross-talk" issues: when that event
> >> happens, *both* ehci controllers get woken up, *and* the xhci
> >> controller does too.
> >
> > Does the Ehternet controller take part in that too?
>
> No. When I plug the device into the ehci port, both ehci controllers
> wake up, the device is recognized, and there is a quick mention of the
> xhci port, but no ethernet activity.

This pretty much rules out ACPI as the source of this behavior.  Of course,
the BIOS has a problem, because it should signal the xHCI events, which it
fails to do (simply because it doesn't cover xHCI at all, apparently).

The PCI subsystem may still be the source of it, except that I'm not
aware of any mechanism in there that may resume the USB controllers
only without touching the other devices.  Are the USB controllers
related to each other somehow PCI-wise (I mean, are they functions of the
same device or something like this)?

Rafael