Re: PCI runtime PM issue on NEC xHCI host

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> Your patch looks fine, although I'm a little confused as to why you
> needed to move setting the HCD_FLAG_HW_ACCESSIBLE bits.  Now they'll be
> set unconditionally, instead of not being set if restore context state
> command times out or if the xHCI re-initialization fails after a power
> loss.  You know those host controller flags better than I do, but is
> that what you wanted to do?

Yes, it is.  The HW_ACCESSIBLE flag just means that the device is no
longer in D3, so the registers can be accessed by normal mmio
instructions.  There's nothing really _wrong_ with setting the flag at
the end of the routine, but it's better to do it up front.  (And it's
better to set the flag just once rather than twice.)

On some platforms, if you try to access a PCI device's memory-mapped
registers while it's not in D0 you'll get a fatal exception and an
oops.  The flag helps to prevent that.

Alan Stern