Re: PCI runtime PM issue on NEC xHCI host

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 05:33:35PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What hardware is this? If it's something Rafael or myself can get our
> > hands on, it's probably going to be easier to test that way.
>
> This happens to be a Lenovo X1. I know there are several inside the
> Intel group, at least. But Sarah sees at least *some* of the same
> issues on some apparently totally unrelated machine that just has the
> same NEC XHCI chip in it, so at least the "no PM resume" thing is not
> hw-specific.

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure (based on my own testing on internal, PCIe
plugin and expresscard) that the NEC chips are just busted in this
respect. Either that or theres a magic "Make things work" bit, but given
Windows doesn't appear to use runtime PCI PM that may be optimistic.
What I'm hoping for here is to just work out why your ehci wakes up as
well - it's not damaging, but it is messy and does suggest there's
something wrong.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx